Tuesday 25 November 2014

A Hand Written Letter.

Too much of our lives are spent online and avoiding contact with people. We send a text, an email or post on a Facebook wall rather than getting up and going to speak to whomever it may be. It's a shame really, human interaction is a beautiful thing! 

When my friend went off to uni we made a promise to send each other hand written letters, it was a way of keeping in touch and having something tangible to keep rather than just always calling, Skyping or texting each other. Don't get me wrong, we do that too! But by sending a letter, its a way of sending something more personal and my friend always tells me how lovely it is to receive something from home.

We've been keeping up with it for some time now, we go through phases of sending a few a month to not receiving or sending one for a few months. It will all depend on how busy we are and what else is going on in our lives at the time. But we will always reply to the last letter. Even when there isn't a lot to say. 

Me and my friend often make more of the letters by including different things in each one, it makes them even more exciting. I sent my friend a calligraphy/typography sketch I did in my last letter and i'm sure I will come up with something Christmassy for my next one! It can be as simple as an old photograph to a little present like sweets or chocolate!

It's difficult to understand the feeling of receiving a hand written letter until you get one. It's one of the best feelings, it's an instant mood booster and will put a massive smile on my face every time! I got home from work today to receive a letter from said friend and I instantly went from "I had a crap day" to "ooo a letter from my friend". 

So, I challenge you to send a letter to your best friend, a family member or someone you just haven't spoken to in a while. Make their day. 

If you're worried about what to write, trust me, it really doesn't matter. Me and my friend can go absolutely ages without having anything interesting to say but you'd be surprised what you come up with when you start writing. Just tell them about your day, it's more interesting that you think and it could spark a really interesting conversation, you never know! 

Let me know how you get on in the comments. Do any of you already have a penpal?

No comments:

Post a Comment